This Declaration has been initiated by members and supporters of the Scottish Green Party (SGP) in endorsement of the Declaration initiated by members of the Green Party of England and Wales (GPEW).
We are fully committed to the Core Values of the SGP to address the climate and ecological emergencies and transform society for the benefit of all and the planet as a whole. We are all members or supporters of the SGP, or former members who have resigned in frustration or been expelled or suspended, because of our commitment to the legitimacy of advocating for women’s sex-based rights.
Women’s rights, based on the reality of biological sex, have been eroded within the SGP, as elsewhere in society. We believe the consequences of this are extremely damaging for women and girls, especially lesbians, mothers and those who are disabled. There now exists a chilling atmosphere of censure and fear within the Party, which affects not only free speech but also free thought.
Scottish Green Declaration for Women’s Sex-Based Rights
We believe that democratic participation and accountability should be our organising principles and are deeply concerned that voices speaking up for women’s hard won sex-based rights are being silenced in the Scottish Green Party.
We know that globally women, as a sex, are disproportionately affected by climate change and environmental degradation, and that their empowerment is essential to our work as environmentalists.
We believe that:
- Women and girls are subject to discrimination and oppression on the basis of their sex, hence sex is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act (2010).
- Sex-based language is vital in identifying and calling out this oppression, and women and girls must retain the right to the use of language specifically referring to female anatomy, for the purposes of dignity, safety and health.
- Sex should not be confused with gender. Sex is a biological reality and is both the site of and the excuse for women’s oppression.
- Women and girls have the right to maintain their sex-based protections as set out in the Equality Act (2010), including female only spaces such as changing rooms, hospital wards, sanitary and sleeping accommodation, refuges, hostels and prisons. Women have the right to refuse consent to males being in these female-only spaces or males delivering intimate services to females such as washing, dressing or counselling.
- Women and girls have the right to: Protection against any discrimination; freedom of belief; freedom of expression; freedom of assembly (Articles 7, 18, 19 and 20 of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights).
- Women and girls have the right to organise themselves, as a sex, across a range of cultural, leisure, sporting, educational and political activities.
- Lesbians are, by definition, women who are same-sex attracted and are entitled to organise and create spaces based on that definition.
- Women and girls have the right to discuss policies which affect them, without being abused, harassed or intimidated.
We reject all attempts to undermine or limit the rights of women to self-organise and we call on, and expect, the SGP, along with the wider green movement actively to support these essential freedoms.
If you share these views and wish to express your support please visit the SGWD Petition website
|Former positions in SGP
|Former Co-Convenor, Standing Orders Committee
|Former executive member, 3 times candidate
|Current member SGP
|Former local election candidate
|Former treasurer and co-convenor Midlothian, and election candidate
|Founder of Glasgow branch in 1979; Election Agent for SGP; Area Co-ordinator for North West Highlands; Co-Convener, Highland Branch, election candidate at all levels
|Former Argyll and Bute SGP member
|Former Office Manager, Party Manager, Executive Convenor, Treasurer
|Former member / activist, Edinburgh
|Active member since 2007, twice election candidate, outgoing co-co of the branch
|Former member Glasgow Greens Branch
|Former Leader, First MSP
|Former executive member (campaigns), women’s organiser and candidate
|Election candidate, placarder, leafletter, and a founding member of Highlands and Islands Green Party
|Former member and candidate for Highland Region
|Former Secretary, subsequently Convener, Councillor candidate, Midlothian Branch
|Former Co-Convener, Glasgow Greens
|Former member West Lothian branch
|Formerly Convenor SGP International Committee; Co Convenor West Lothian Greens; SGP Candidate
|Former SGP member
|Former Co-convenor East Lothian Greens
|Former SGP member Argyll branch
|Former SGP member
|Former member, S Lanarkshire branch
|Former Member Glasgow Greens
|Former member and local activist
|Former member and branch treasurer
|Former Co-convenor East Lothian Greens, Co-convenor International Committee, Convenor Trade Union group, election candidate
|Former Midlothian branch WCO and election agent
|SGP member and activist for 15 years, Lothian
|NAMES WITHHELD DUE TO POTENTIAL RISK TO PROFESSIONAL OR POLITICAL POSITION
|Former branch committee member and local organiser
|Former office holder in Branch committee and election candidate
|Former election candidate, formerly held office in local branch
|Former SGP member, member of Women’s Network and co-convener of local branch
|Active committee member and election candidate
|Candidate for East Lothian 2018